From my weekly budget of £20, I have spent:
- £6.00 – lunch with a friend at a local restaurant. I had a voucher which saved a small amount off the price. Eating lunch out instead of taking my own is very rare for me, I generally only do it for social reasons.
- £1.00 – a box of Toffifee; I had been craving these for a couple of weeks and was not able to resist any longer.
- £2.30 – ticket to Birmingham. I travelled after 6.30pm, which usually saves around 50% on the ticket cost. I needed to return six library books and collect a reserved one.
- £5.00 – lunch out with a group at another local restaurant, a celebration meal at short notice.
- £1.30 – some chocolate from the cafeteria at work.
- £1.30 – drink at the cafe for Japanese language meetup hosting. If I’m one of the first ones there, I feel pressured into buying a drink as the cafe gets very full and I don’t want it to look like the language meetups are not good business for them.
- £6.20 – train ticket to visit my parents over the Easter break.
Total – £23.10
Overspend!! Obviously food and trains are more expensive than I had previously thought. The overspend will have to come out of next week’s budget. In practice, as I bought the train ticket online with electronic money rather than cash, I’ll put £3.80 into savings and just have £10 to spend next week. £10 is the lowest amount of cash I can draw out from the local cash machines, there are no £5 dispensers around here.
From outstanding Christmas money I have bought a suitcase which fits into cabin size limits. I currently have two small suitcases which are too big for budget airlines allowances, so I end up using a laptop backpack of my husband’s when I travel, which is quite difficult to pack in due to its internal layout. The new suitcase was £12.94 including postage, and I traded in a book to Amazon last week and used the £2.50 gift card balance towards it, so I’ll use £10.44 of Christmas money. I’m taking two work trips in May and a holiday in June, so I’ll definitely get some use out of the new suitcase. I’ll also get rid of the two oversized ones.