June was my first month of trying to spend as little as possible on entertainment. As it was a fairly recent idea, there were still some residual spend activities going on from the past.
- I paid around £15 for entry to this year’s Race for Life. The spend took place in around January 2014, but Race for Life took place on 18 June.
- I went to Dublin with my husband. The flights were under £20 return and we were staying in a hostel. These items were paid in the spring from existing travel savings. During the trip, we ate out, and visited two paid-for attractions: Kilmainham Gaol and Dublin Castle. These were also paid for from existing travel savings. During the rest of the trip, we visited free places e.g. Trinity College, Temple Bar and did a lot of walking around the city.
In terms of free entertainment and my originally stated goals, I
- returned the final set of books I had borrowed from the further library, during a work trip to that city so I didn’t have to pay additional train fare.
- got rid of an additional 13 books so I now own 7 books and am looking at getting rid of two more.
- worked on an existing craft project for which I didn’t need to buy anything.
- got rid of some craft items which I am unlikely to use and sorted some wool for sale on eBay.
- sold an exercise ball which I never use, and concentrated on putting a free exercise regime in place.
- went to two language meetups, one knit group and met friends three times, totally for free.
- kept watching free online TV instead of getting a Netflix or other account.
- reduced the monthly cost of my phone bill as I didn’t use the previous full allocation of minutes.
So this month’s total spend on fun was:
- £1.26 – postage of one letter (taken from eBay profits)
- £130 (estimated) – cost of food, bus and visits while in Dublin (taken from existing travel budget)
June and July will be slightly out-of-the-ordinary months as I have an ongoing project which needs to be finished by the end of July, and I don’t have a lot of free time while I’m finishing that.