We always seem to have overripe bananas lying around, and I don’t like to eat them as plain fruit, so I have been experimenting with various banana bread recipes. I originally started with Civilised Caveman’s recipe, which is good but a bit labour-intensive if, like me, you don’t keep nut butter in stock. So I’ve been doing various experiments and this is the current recipe I use.
- 3 bananas
- 3 eggs (could replace with 3/4 cups applesauce for vegan?)
- 2 cups ground almonds/ 1 cup ground almonds and 1 cup dessicated coconut (depends what I have in the cupboard, could probably be replaced with other nuts or flour)
- Cinnamon – as much as you like, I love it so add about 2 tbsp!
- 1 cup chopped dates (could be replaced with other dried fruit)
- 2 tbsp ghee (vegetable or sunflower oil for vegan?)
It couldn’t be simpler, I just mash up the bananas with a potato masher (I’m weedy, you could maybe use a fork), mix in the eggs, and then mix in everything else. Put it in a loaf tin and cook on gas mark 4 or equivalents until an inserted knife comes out clean (around 30 minutes for me).
After leaving the banana bread to cool a bit, I slice it and freeze it.