For my real attempt at the Whole30 (as opposed to the previous trial), I thought I’d keep a record of the experience, as knowing I have to blog about something often makes it easier to stick to it! There are two main reasons why I’m doing Whole30. One, I had more energy during the last one and have been finding it difficult to get up for the last couple of weeks, so I’d like to see if that’s sugar-related. Two, I have digestion problems and want to try and narrow down the cause. In the past I’ve suspected both lactose and gluten intolerance, so I particularly want to eliminate and then reintroduce those foods. During my Whole30 trial in March/April, I also noticed problems after eating fruit, so during this Whole30 I’ll avoid fruit as well, to see if that makes a noticeable difference.
Day 1 – 07/05/15 – I didn’t feel too hungry at work, but I thought a lot about chocolate. Energy levels and digestion both ok.
- Breakfast: 3 eggs, 1 red pepper, handful mushrooms, handful marinated artichokes
- Lunch: beef mince, sauerkraut, ras el hanout, mushrooms
- Dinner: beef mince, mushrooms, 2 eggs, tbsp olive oil. Several handfuls of pistachio nuts.
Day 2 – 08/05/15 – I had a day off work and felt some sugar cravings, which may be a bad habit from being at home alone and being able to eat chocolate. I felt quite hungry for most of the day. I’m not addicted to mushrooms, we just had three packets of them on the fridge so I’m working my way through them. I’m also not addicted to mince, but if I’m in a hurry and don’t have any precooked or defrosted meat ready, mince can be cooked from frozen. I took out some chicken to defrost today so I can have some variety tomorrow. Energy levels good, I got up at roughly normal time although I had the day off work. Digestion not so good by evening.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, beef mince, 2 gherkins, handful marinated artichokes, mushrooms, olive oil
- Lunch: ribeye steak (fried in coconut oil), roasted butternut squash, carrot, leek and mushroom
- Dinner: Lamb mince, mushrooms, zest and juice of one lime
Day 3 – 09/05/15 – dinner at a restaurant so I faced a challenge early on. We went to someone’s house after the meal and she served me a cup of tea with milk. If she’d asked, I would have said I didn’t want a drink, or at least would have had black tea. As it was, I felt a social pressure not to kick up a fuss. I had a swig of the tea to be polite and left most of it. Technically, after consuming dairy I should start again, but it was only a mouthful so I’m going to carry on. During the day, I thought about food a lot but didn’t experience any sugar cravings. Energy levels reasonable, digestion ok.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, beef mince, sauerkraut, mushrooms, olive oil
- Lunch: With my defrosted chicken, I struggled to decide between chicken nuggets and brined chicken. I would have made tandoori chicken but haven’t found a suitable coconut milk yet. In the end I made lemon-rosemary chicken. 3 chicken thighs, roasted butternut squash, carrot and leek, homemade mayonnaise (it didn’t fully set so it was more like salad cream).
- Dinner: sirloin steak, salad, peas.
Day 4 – 10/05/15. Energy levels ok, I got up a bit later but that is probably because I have a cold coming and didn’t sleep well at night. Again, I thought a lot about eating, and lunch was eaten as a series of snacks, but if I thought about it, I wasn’t really hungry. I notice that I’m really bad at adding vegetables to a meal unless they’re already prepared. However, i generally prepare breakfasts and lunches to take to work in advance, so I think this will be less of a problem than when I’m at home and don’t think about cooking until I’m ready to eat. A lot of what I’m cooking in advance is coming from The clothes make the girl and you should definitely go here if you’re trying a Whole30.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, beef mince, sauerkraut, roasted veg, some leftover chicken fat/juice from Day 3.
- Lunch/dinner: 1 lemon-rosemary chicken thigh, fried onion in pork fat, homemade mayo, four pieces homemade pork scratchings, a few pieces of pork carnitas
Day 5 – 11/05/15 Energy levels ok, digestion a bit off. I ate four times today instead of three. I still thought a lot about eating, but no specific sugar cravings.
- Breakfast: 1 avocado, 3 pieces pork carnitas, homemade mayo.
- Lunch: 2 chicken thighs, mixed roast veg, cauliflower rice, homemade mayo
- Dinner: 2 servings, a few hours apart, each of Moroccan meatballs (except I didn’t make actual meatball shapes so it was like a stew), cauliflower rice and green olives.