I started on 1 October 2015, after a couple of months of being very much off the wagon and not careful about what I was eating. In fact, I was deliberately eating lots of chocolate, sugar and carbs, and also travelled to a few different places where I was eating in a group and sometimes carby things like pasta or sandwiches were the only things offered by our hosts. At the end of September, I was feeling bloated, had stomach ache and digestive problems, had put on a lot of weight, was tired, with sleeping problems and had some skin breakouts. Over August and September, I had also had an unusually high number of coldsores and wasn’t sure if this was also related to excessive sugar consumption.
Day 1 – 01/10/15
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, mince, caramelised onions, pepper
- Lunch: Steak, marinated artichokes, kale, pear, apple
- Dinner: Steak, artichoke, onions, kale
Day 2 – 02/10/15 – I was working from home, which usually makes me feel a bit more tempted to eat, so I had some sugar cravings.However, I was able to resist them. My digestion felt better and my energy levels were good. I took a long time to get to sleep but slept straight through the night.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, mince, sauerkraut, olive oil, salt
- Lunch: Steak, olives, pickled red cabbage, kale, caramelised onions, pear
- Dinner: Belly pork (outdoor-bred), fish sauce, lemongrass, cinnamon, ginger, chili, baked kale
Day 3 – 03/10/15 – I was going out for lunch but expected to be able to find something compliant. My digestion felt ok and I wasn’t particularly hungry. I went supermarket shopping but wasn’t tempted to go down the sweet aisle. I was quite tired in the afternoon, but this is probably not related to Whole30 as I’ve been very busy and also not sleeping well due to travel lately.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs, mince, sauerkraut, caramelised onions, olive oil, salt
- Lunch: Steak salad: steak, lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, new potatoes (I suspect they may have had butter on), no dressing.
- Dinner:Steak, kale, homemade mayonnaise, apple
Day 4 – 04/10/15 – I slept well and my energy was good. My digestion was generally ok. I didn’t feel hungry or have any sugar cravings.
- Breakfast: eggs, mince, sauerkraut, olive oil, salt
- Lunch: Steak, kale, homemade mayonnaise, avocado
- Dinner: Pork carnitas, beetroot, homemade mayo, kale
Day 5 – 05/10/15 – I was woken up during the night and early in the morning and my energy was correspondingly lower than usually. I then got a coldsore, which also explained the energy drop. My digestion was not great all day and I was very bloated in the afternoon.
- Breakfast: eggs, mince, peppers, shallots
- Lunch: beetroot, pistachios, potatoes, pork carnitas, mayonnaise
- Dinner: apple, steak, shallots, mayo, kale